Saturday, December 6, 2008

Rain. Please.

A little rain goes a long way. Here in SW Washington I live near a small river that struggles to maintain a flow over 250 cfs this time of year, making the fishing opportunities few but the desire greater. I guess in some ways this is a good thing as it keeps the supply down but the demand great. Definitely a positive for fishing. Not so for the impatient.

My good friend Derek Fergus, accomplished and consummate professional, often states that fishing is a matter of interception, not so much a matter just fishing the right seam or the right method. He's taught me that waiting for the time that fish are holding, or fish are going to move, is more critical than time on the water. Now this is all basic information most fisher people know, but actually practicing this principle is not always as easy as it seems. We all get a bit antsy to get back on the river and practice our craft to perfection. In fact, I spend a lot of days walking the river during off times for fishing to identify holding areas, or other structure I might not have recognized during higher flows or tougher conditions. And during these times I fool myself into thinking maybe there's a holdover I could wrangle out - Easy big guy, easy - Patience...

The other day I heard a few folks complaining about the impending rain coming, and I smiled knowing that the time for interception would be soon. Water levels will rise and fall more frequently, offering passage to returning fish and increasing the windows of opportunity we have for our passion. I impatiently wait...

For river level information, check this site. We feel it is the most comprehensive we've found:

http://www.wkcc.org/levels/

No comments: