Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thanksgiving in February?

Everyone breathe a collective sigh, bow your heads, and pay respect to our friends down south in California. The situation in CA has become dire as salmon seasons become things of memory. It saddens me because that is how I spent time with my dad, swaying to the swells outside the Golden Gate, mooching and trolling herring and anchovies for a flash of silver and the rip of mono off the salt-crusted reel. I sincerely feel for the folks that survived on recreational fishing, and for the commercial peeps that are probably looking north by northwest for more hallowed grounds. Unfortunately, neither can rely on what was once a bountiful industry nor should either consider the future filled with fish.

Give thanks my friends that we have not met such a circumstance as of yet. But be warned that our future could hold a decision similar should we not properly manage what we do have now.

No comments: