Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Stimuli & A Limerick

Frustration is best served by drifting a presentation through a seam and watching your indicator dart through the surface, breaking the tension of anticipation and propelling you into a dramatic dance of wills with a steelhead. That, to me, is a stimulus. Something that moves you into action, providing a pulse of life and sustained activity. What I am reading amongst congress and the media is only stimulating empty talk and negative emotions, driving some to duck and cover, hiding away from the world and admitting defeat. I suggest we hike up our britches and begin stimulating ourselves into action. But I digress...

I was reminded tonight that only 22 weeks separates us from the obsession of archery elk and deer season in our neck of the woods. Wow, could it really be only that far off? Have I been that consumed this winter with thoughts of metalfish? So what are we doing to get ready? I should be running 20 miles per week, climbing 4000 feet on weekends, and practicing at the range to be a better shot. Instead, I am sitting on the couch with my beautiful wife, eating buttery popcorn and talking to my dog in puppy language. This is pathetic. I promise to get back to it Saturday. Really, I will. No, really!

So let's see - What else can we do to get ready? Well, turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo) need to be thinned this spring, as do burgeoning bear (Ursus americanus) populations across the north west. Coyotes (Canis latrans) are fair game, as are other predator species in specific areas. I call it cross training. While each of these species is different and unique in method, all are hunted and place the hunter in his or her primal environment. We have desires and favorites no doubt, which should be honored and cherished, however we may look to increasing our activity in the woods outside of the habitual species and gain knowledge and understanding of others which can only sharpen our skills and increase our odds over time.

Beyond the aforementioned topics of alternative game species, give a chance to some alternative training techniques as well. Try a martial art to develop balance and focus, yoga to decrease injury and stimulate dormant body functions. Perhaps swimming to assist your cardio, and even something as simple as walking to build stamina and endurance. Remember, starting now, and in slow intervals building over the next 5 months, and your entire season could be that much more enjoyable. Not only will these help you, but remember that your daily schedule should be adjusted to reflect your sleep patterns during the hunting season, going so far as to limit night time sleep to 6 hours with a short nap during the day. I know, maybe I am nuts, but during climbing season I do just that. Perhaps it is more mental masturbation than anything, but it seems to work for me.

Tonight, I leave you with a limerick (it's almost St. Pat's after all!)

There once was a fellow named Jerry,
Who as a meat packer was quite contrary,
His wit was quite sharp,
Shot his arrows like darts,
And was best known for an antelope still roaming the prairie...

And I will pay for that one...

No comments: