Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A guy named Joe

About a month ago, I attended a trade show for the promotional products industry. As I walked the shrunken show, I was alerted to a good friend of mine's presence. I walked up, offered a hand shake as is custom, and assimilated into conversation on mundane, unimportant topics such as water bottles and incentive programs. Somewhere along the way, maybe 2-3 minutes into our chat, Joe turned to me in an almost complexion erasing phrase, saying 'I was diagnosed with colon cancer this morning.'

Dammit, the C word. Kinda came from left field and sucker-punched me. Not something I remotely anticipate to hear during these casual encounters. Damn Joe, I'm sorry bro...

Almost 6 weeks later, I visited Joe at his home. His surgery was successful and he looked great, smiling the broad smile and trying hard not to laugh (keeping the staples in!) at the jesting I can't help but engage in. We talked about politics, faith, and what was next. That was the part that inspired me - What was next? He isn't done yet, and it reminded me that neither am I. Keep moving forward and put to bed the ill thoughts that come with a diagnosis ubiquitous with dark clouds and clinical failures. His spirits soaring and his mind and tongue sharp, I looked at Joe with admiration and respect.

It's coming up on hunting season. Time for us to retreat into the woods and desert our cushy life in the metro area. This season, I'll be thankful for my health, and inspired by Joe's courage and resolve, and remember not to take life for granted. It's the old cliche that you don't miss what you have till its gone. Somehow I think you all will understand.

No comments: